You may be a student looking to complete a work based learning component of your course. You may be interested in pursuing a career in animal husbandry and want to gain hands-on experience. Or, you may just be looking for something new and fun to do with your spare time!
We can offer varied time commitment placements to volunteers, ranging from one day per week up to a six-month block placement.
Whilst with us, volunteers will assist our animal care team with the husbandry and care of animals on a particular section. Volunteers enable our animal carers to achieve more in their work day, such as providing more enrichment to our animals, carrying out more behavioural observations and interacting with more visitors.
Animal sections available:
- General: This section covers the widest variety of animals, from invertebrates to tropical birds, reptiles to small livestock. Minimum volunteer age 14 years.
- Middle: This section houses our large and small carnivores. Minimum volunteer age 18 years.
- Primate: This section houses our collection of lemurs, monkeys and gibbons. Minimum volunteer age 16 years.
- Sea Lions: This section houses our sea lions and penguins. Minimum volunteer age 18 years.
What do we look for in our volunteers?
- People who enjoy working in a team.
- A willingness to learn.
- Ability to work outside in all weather conditions.
What can we offer our volunteers in return?
- Gain experience within the zoo industry of animal husbandry & enhance your CV with hands-on experience.
- Try something new and gain new experiences.
- Meet like-minded people.
If you are interested in volunteering with us, please download and complete our application form & email your completed form to email@example.com
*Please note there are limited places available for each animal section and we receive a high volume of applications each year.